Friday 18 December 2015

Evaluation of Preliminary Task

After making my preliminary task before my main task, I needed to make a 'school magazine' and I chose the genre myself, which happened to be fashion, something I researched a lot into before. Moreover, on my real task an evaluation needs to be made, therefore as a preliminary task I decided to evaluate my first piece of work as well.

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Front Cover 
Direct Address is used here as the image is looking straight at the reader. This does this so it gets the attention of the reader. It does that by creating a ‘relationship’ between the image and the consumer going to buy the magazine. This is conventional as this is seen throughout almost every magazine as it captures attention and almost creates a relationship between the image and the audience.

However there are many problems within this magazine as I was quite unskilled with using applications such as InDesign for the first time and therefore made my work look below a wanted standard.This  is unconventional in many ways. Especially due to there being no skyline and having the Masthead going through the bottom instead of the top. Not only this but it lacks the Masthead that has vibrant colours capture the attention of buyers. It is very dull in fact.

Despite the fact I have inserted articles to do with the school (Stockley Academy) as they are relevant, it lacks the eye catching colours, fonts and text sizes. Therefore, even though all the magazine information is there (I have also included brief Sell Lines to show the reader what to expect when they buy the magazine) the audience will not be interested.
This Colour Palette is unconventional aswell it does not have the normal ‘three’ colours, instead only having black and white which may not get the readers attention. It also has sell line colours with the dark background colour which makes it hard for the reader to see and it does not stand out.

Overall this can be seen as an extremely unconventional front cover and I definitely know what to do for my main task to capture the audiences attention, but also keep the conventions in place.


Contents Page

In this contents page I have used an unconventional colour scheme of just black and pink compared to the conventional 3 colour palette that is meant to be used. Which are also very dark colours for a fashion type magazine. I have used bold titles to describe the headings, for example, the two important ones on this page are obviously the magazine name ‘Fabulous’ and the name of the actual pages someone is looking at which is ‘Contents’. 

       The images are used were relevant to what the task of a ‘school magazine’ was. This is due to
me using some pictures of actual students in the school. I have promoted ‘social media’ that 
the magazine uses to get recognition. This is effective as it makes it seem like a real magazine 
because they always try to broadcast their magazine to social media websites.
How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My magazine represents the younger generation fashion. This is seen in both the front cover and contents page due to the content it includes. It includes images of teenagers in school, due to it being a school magazine and uses relevant images for this. Also in the contents page, there are links to social media pages, teenagers mainly use them, therefore they are included.
I make this very clear throughout due to the young adult wording and is more of a casual approach, not a formal sort of magazine which is usually associated with adults. The vivid colours and childlike picture approach make it fun for the young reader and allow their attention to be on the magazine for longer periods of time. 
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
There are many institutions that may take my magazine, such as teen, fashion or gossip magazines. My magazine applies to all these and may more sub-topics and they may be distributed due to these topics being extremely popular in younger generations.
Who would be the audience for your media product?
My audience are girls who are currently in school and enjoy reading and talking about fashion. They must be interested in it to be able to understand the magazine. Although it attracts a particular group it does not prevent other people from reading it, I would like to think that my magazine works for everyone. 
How did you attract your audience?
I attracted my audience by attempting to use unusual colours that are used in a magazine, such as black and white or black and pink. I also tried using simple language to try and attract lots of different age ranges. However, my conventions weren't very professional and due to this not many people may be attracted to this preliminary task. Despite this, I know know what to do for my main task. 
What have you learnt about the technologies from the process of constructing this product?
  • From constructing this product I have learnt how to use the Adobe In-Design software to create the layout of a magazine and its conventions used.
  • I have also learnt how to Photoshop pictures after taking them and uploading them onto In-Design for later use.
  • Learn how to plan for a magazine by finding pictures and information online, mostly using Google. 
  • How to present my research from popular applications such as Scribd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment